Welcome!

Welcome to Wiley Coyote's Education Discussion Blog.

If there are any topics you wish to discuss, please email me at axles93105@mypacks.net with the link or topic and I'll post it for you.

Please let others you may know interested in these issues to come join us at http://undoeducationstatusquo.blogspot.com/

I will try my best to keep things up to date and interesting. I'm still working my way around the blog program and looking for other ways to make it fun and interesting.

I'm always open to suggestions. ...WC





Monday, April 27, 2015

CMS shut out of ‘most challenging high schools’ list

The best part of this story is to read the comments.

It still amazes me how people really believe public education/CMS/urban LEAs are so wonderful. They're either oblivious to history and the facts or living in La La Land.

CMS shut out of ‘most challenging high schools’ list



04/25/2015 2:00 AM
 There are a million ways to rank high schools, but at least by this measure, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools doesn’t make the cut.

The Washington Post is out with its list of “America’s Most Challenging High Schools,” and none from Mecklenburg County appear among its 2,332 schools.
Weddington High in Union County was the only Charlotte-area school to make the list, coming in at No. 22 in the state.

The ranking looks at the number of Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate (or Advanced International Certificate of Education, associated with the Cambridge program) tests taken per year divided by the number of graduates at public high schools. ......MORE:http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/education/your-schools-blog/article19405971.html#/tabPane=tabs-b0710947-1-1

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/education/your-schools-blog/article19405971.html#/tabPane=tabs-b0710947-1-2#storylink=cpy

3 comments:

  1. A little slow on the uptake today…

    I initially interpreted "challenging" as failing because isn't this how CMS typically refers to low-performing schools? The headline confused me because I couldn't understand how CMS miraculously got all of it's D and F schools off a challenging schools list.

    For the record, I disagree with the way the state of NC has decided to grade schools because I fail to see how stigmatizing "challenging" schools is remotely beneficial to improving them. If all schools were receiving A and B grades wouldn't this mean that the standardized tests the state is administering are too easy? Well, of course it would. Therefore, it's essential to have F schools or the entire point of grading would be for naught. A certain percentage of challenging schools HAVE to fail in order to make NC's grading system appear challenging. Am I right or am I right?

    Alicia



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's the difference between "challenged" and "challenging", I guess. I think schools should be graded on "the curve", though. It's just that the mean of the curve is probably a D, instead of a C.

      Again, it all depends on how you measure and what you measure. Most apologists for our schools want the easiest, most vague, touchy-feely, feel-good method possible. The rest want strict adherence to collective test scores. Not sure either is best.

      I think zip code and demographics are probably the best way to rank them. Until I find something generally better.

      Anyone who doubts this can move to Ferguson or Baltimore and take their chances.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Wiley Coyote
    Great post on most challenging high schools list
    Thanks for sharing
    Pay for University Assignment Online

    ReplyDelete