Welcome!

Welcome to Wiley Coyote's Education Discussion Blog.

If there are any topics you wish to discuss, please email me at axles93105@mypacks.net with the link or topic and I'll post it for you.

Please let others you may know interested in these issues to come join us at http://undoeducationstatusquo.blogspot.com/

I will try my best to keep things up to date and interesting. I'm still working my way around the blog program and looking for other ways to make it fun and interesting.

I'm always open to suggestions. ...WC





Saturday, May 23, 2015

I hope Everyone Is Doing Well...

Hi Guys...

Just wanted to let you know I'm still alive and kicking.

My son went back to Germany this past Monday and with my load at work doubling (I now have 4 salesmen to do marketing for), planting my garden, doing yardwork and keeping up with my antique and collectible business, I have had zero time to do anything else.

Thanks for coming here and continuing the conversation about the epic failure that is public education.

Also, thanks for the kind words about my son's fiancee's graduation and her desire to be a teacher.

She was one of six students that was lucky enough to go to Finland this past January for 10 days and see what the hubub was all about over there. She was impressed but feels the same as I do that they have a totally different system and social structure there and there is no way their system can be implemented here in the US. She did say there were some ideas that could be put in place, but that's about it.

I've refrained from letting her know my opinions on the matter. Maybe someday if the topic comes up I'll spill my opinions.

I hope things are good in China and Lake Lure.

I hope to get some time to post more stories as I find them, but with school letting out in a week or so, the usual rhetoric will subside until about August or if CMS finally decides who the next scapegoat I mean principal will be....

Wiley

4 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you Wiley!

    I felt pride for my son at his graduation yesterday. It was quite a journey reaching this milestone. What a glorious day.

    I also felt pride as a public school teacher. An Elon alumni (class of 2012) spoke of growing up in NYC with over 30 students in a classroom, no sense of community, and not enough chairs or books. She was the first in her family to attend college and is now an elementary school teacher.

    Political analyst Charlie Cook - whose son was also graduating - asked people in attendance to stand up if they served in the military, serve as a school teacher, serve in the medical profession or serve as a police officer or firefighter. He told the graduating class to thank this group of people whose jobs helped them reach this milestone and who make a difference in the lives of people here and around the world.

    Elon's president also talked about the need for Elon students to serve as mentors to children whose future lives can often be predicted by age 9 based on their circumstances, access, and lack of access to things.

    It was a good day. Proud of my son. Proud to be a teacher.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed witnessing the conferring of degrees to students receiving B.F.A.'s. Most graduated with a double major or a minor (Dance and something else) but it felt good to know that higher education still values the artists among the finance majors. My son received a B.S. in Business Administration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, things have been fine here on the homefront staring out over Victoria Harbor...

    It's just that the darned rain doesn't want to stop and the humidity is stifling.

    I took the kids out on some "umbrella training", just so they learn how to navigate the crowds of HK using an umbrella. My kids still think of the umbrella as a toy and keep waving it around and hitting stuff with it.

    I keep telling them they'll poke their eyes out if they don't stop.

    My wife has been traveling through Europe (London, Paris, Dublin, Toulouse) on business and left me with the kids, so we're just going around HK doing whatever we feel like on Buddha's Birthday.

    Things could be worse.

    Did a little background research on my dad's old Navy records just to see which ships he was on during WWII.

    Unfortunately, my dad stuck around the Army until after the Vietnam War and so ended on somewhat of a low note. I don't think most of those guys got much appreciation until well after he was gone.

    Took the kids to see the Avengers, Age of Ultron and they enjoyed it.

    Anyway, at my age, I'm just glad to be kickin'...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as Finland goes, Monty Python said it best:

    Finland, Finland, Finland
    The country where I want to be
    Pony trekking or camping
    Or just watching TV
    Finland, Finland, Finland
    It's the country for me


    You're so near to Russia
    So far from Japan
    Quite a long way from Cairo
    Lots of miles from Vietnam


    Finland, Finland, Finland
    The country where I want to be
    Eating breakfast or dinner
    Or snack lunch in the hall
    Finland, Finland, Finland
    Finland has it all


    ReplyDelete